G’day Mate!

Well g’day mate!  I’m finally feeling a little more human and able to catch you up on the adventure down under.  I’ve received tons of emails, texts and facebook messages – thank you so much for wondering how I’m doing!  It’s been a bit of a rough go, but it finally feels like I’m getting through that tunnel of drugs and pain and see the light at the other end.  There’s still a ways to go, but we cut back on one of the pretty green and blue pills so my brain is coming back online.

So to start at the beginning… before I checked into the hospital for surgery on the 26th, I had to go in on the 24th for several xrays, ct scan and a dexa scan (bone density).  Everything looked good and we got a thumbs up for the 26th!  Here’s an xray of my femur before OI… I should be getting an after xray within the next couple of weeks.


I checked into Macquarie Hospital at 7 a.m. October 26th – filled out more forms, had my blood pressure taken about a zillion times, then was fitted with this stunning hospital ball gown in a lovely blue.


Theater Nurse Sue kept me entertained while Dr. Kumar the anaesthesiologist was busy setting up my epidural and central line… and then it was lights out.  OI surgery here in Sydney is done under light sedation rather than general anaesthetic so there is less impact on the patient and a much less likelihood of negative sedation effects.  I woke up very shortly after surgery feeling just fine with a nice sandwich and ice block (that one took some translation… ice block = popsicle) waiting for me.  I do remember Dr. Al Muderis inserting the implant (Bang! BAng! BANG!!) but it wasn’t stressful and in the moment it was more of a “oh I guess Munjed must be almost done if he’s putting the implant in” thought.  It’s quite the plethora of drugs you’re on and I had four different machines dispensing into the many tubes I had attached.



The next three days was spent on a cocktail of drugs, courtesy of Dr. Kumar (above) to make sure that I was relatively pain free while my body dealt with the surgery, as well as to make sure I won’t experience any nerve pain down the road.  I had my own happy happy joy joy button I could push anytime I needed to and after the epidural was removed on day 3, I made good use of my button pushing skills.

Day 2 started with a visit from Dr. Patterson, the pain specialist and then Dr. Rosenblatt, Dr. Al Muderis’ Fellow who had joined Dr. Al Muderis for my surgery.  Dr. Rosenblatt said surgery had gone well and everything looked great!  I found out that I was OI surgery patient #305 and when I mentioned that to Mars, my nurse for the day, she pointed out that I was in Room 305… insert Twilight Zone music here lol.

Day 3’s theme was pain… I got some good button pushing in on that day lol.  I should mention that another of the drugs I was on was ketamine which can apparently cause some people to become emotional – yup I am one of them!  I woke up that morning feeling so grateful for the opportunity to have the surgery, that when the nurse came in and saw I was crying, she immediately thought I was in extreme pain.  It took a bit to explain that I was just really really happy lol.

Hospital days 4 and 5 I got to start loading my new leg.  What that means is you start to gradually put more weight on the end of the implant.  This is built up gradually until you reach half your body weight, then the big day has arrived and you can get fitted for the light trial leg.

So I’m now 10 days post op.  I’m loading 35kg for an hour a day and need to reach 45kg for an hour a day by Wednesday, three days away.  The next big step is getting fitted for the training leg. I’ll find out Monday when my appointment is, but it should be this Wednesday.


You can kinda of see the metal post where it is loading on the scale?  Here’s a pic for those of you who are curious as to what the revisions to my leg look like… just keep scrolling those of you who don’t want the nitty gritty…


As you can see, I have about 3 zillion staples and there is also the same amount at the back of the leg.  I’m not sure why, but normally the incision is more of a smiley face, horizontal at the bottom of the stump. For some reason mine is vertical.

Well I think that brings you up to date.  Hopefully Andra and I will get an outing sometime soon.  I have a scooter to toodle around on, but it’s really uncomfortable for my leg so need to do a little more healing before I spend any huge amount of time on it and we head out on a day trip.

Thanks for your patience and hope you’re all doing fantabulous!!


6 thoughts on “G’day Mate!”

  1. We love you Kare.
    Thanks for the awesome update.
    We know you are in excellent hands (and leg… LOL), and so excited about what you’re going through.
    We have no worries, and glad you’ve been mostly staying off the updates… to rest.
    See you later on Skype.
    Love you bunches,
    Noel & Kat

  2. I’m printing a copy of this to drop off with your Mom today, (No appointment just going by) thanks for keeping us updated.
    I’m excited to see your dream coming true, it was lots of work to get here and the work is not over yet. I have no doubt in my mind you will come thru with the same grace and determination that got you there.
    B-Well my friend.
    ps, your Keifer is doing just fine 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *